Art of Fashion : The new red carpet with Christian Siriano

 

If younger Taylor was told she’d meet a great American designer she definitely would not have believed it. But hi, future Taylor here to tell  you, that it did happen! I know to the outside world Cleveland Ohio doesn’t seem like the most fashionable place. But I would have to disagree and tell you that you’re wrong. In the past almost 4 years I have been to more fashion events and fashion shows than I can count. The creative, art, and fashion scene in Cleveland is growing and exploding. I have met some incredible fashion designers, artists, photographers, stylists and entrepreneurs right here in Cleveland. So to have a great American designer like Chrisitan Siriano speak in Cleveland and talk about his new book was epic. Chrisitan’s new  book is stunning by the way, and I highly recommend you grab yourself a copy. 

The Art of Fashion event  was a night where all of Cleveland’s most fabulous and stylish people came out and showed out. Being in a room surrounded by so many stylish people was a true inspiring moment in itself. Plus it was nice to catch up with so many familiar faces plus mingle with others from the museum or around the area. Aimon Ali and all of the members of Column & Stripe put together a wonderful event. It was held in the Gartner Auditorium at the Cleveland Museum of Art.  This was just one in their series of art of fashion. 


So what did I wear to potentially meet one of my favorite designers. Something chic, elegant with a little pop of personality. I wore my Loft Versa collection light grey 2 piece suit. It is an off the shoulder  tailored  top with beautiful pleated and draped details that criss-cross in the front. It has a small slit cut out at the hem. The matching  trousers are a perfectly  tailored slightly pleated straight leg. A 2 piece  suit with a bit of high fashion and nyc flair. In my honest opinion anyway.  To  add in the fun factor I added a colorful pair of patent leather pointed pump in a peachy color for a pop. I had just scored these Kate Spade heels off Facebook marketplace for 15 bucks. I wore colorful  clay earrings and a ring with similar colors made by my older sister. 


I got so many gems from Christian. We also got insight into Christian’s creative mind and process when it comes to designing for the red carpet. He also talked about his growth from his start on project runway and the success he has amassed over the past 15 years. He has broken boundaries and changed the outlook of who is beautiful. From lifting up and highlighting real women on the runway and red carpet. His scrappy nature he mentioned was a catalyst to his growth and success , by saying yes to everything even when he didn't know how. He even mentioned his collection at payless. My heart skipped a beat because I personally owned several pairs of shoes from that collection and truly loved the accessibility and quality. Man I really miss Payless shoe source. 




When he is designing for different celebs for an event or red carpet he gave us the behind the scenes of how these collabs work. From just an idea or vibe like when Sia said she wanted to look like cake. The result was so deliciously elegant. And seeing this design up close I couldn't help admiring the fullness and fun and technique that went into this extravagant gown. On the other hand when he collaborated on a look for Lady GAGA he had a little more of a challenge it had to be dramatic but very covered up and no skin showing, as a more modest girly myself I can appreciate this look. I love that you can have all the drama in the volume of the sleeves and print. While anchoring a sleek silhouette with the pencil skirt. 


When asked what are the hurdles that he has overcome Christian stated; “What do you mean everyday, I don't know if the lights are going to turn on tomorrow . . . you never know. It’s really hard. People really forget about the fashion industry or the business. There is no book, there's no guide, you just have to figure it out as you go. Which is a really interesting challenge for yourself everyday even the more successful, “successful” whatever that means to you, or the brand whoever as an artist. The biggest challenge is to keep everything going and moving and be creative when it becomes a job and financial . That's what I over come everyday to just keep it going. I think that’s the challenge for anyone. We just make pretty things and hope people buy them” This honest and candid response really stuck out to me. 


Another point that I really latched onto was his advice to new and emerging designers. Christian pointed out ; “ find what you're so obsessed with and be great at it. Because you're really competing with so many brands. It’s so hard to stand out. So if you're all about evening wear make it the best it can be. If you really love denim it has to be interesting and dynamic and then you can branch out and do other things. I think too many young designers try to do too many things and not one thing is great. That’s coming from every editor and stylist, every actress. It's really hard, it's so hard just to get your clothes out there in the world it really is. You can always get a customer to come and buy one thing once everyone  can get that. But to come back season after  season is the true test. That's how you survive.”





Truly words of wisdom spoken from a true artist and visionary of our generation. The best part was I actually got to meet Christian after the main book signing. I was mingling and I looked to my right and there he was. I definitely was freaking out on the inside and trying to remain cool on the outside. I came prepared with a marker and my copy of his book. He said he wanted to sign it and that he did. We chatted for a moment and took some pics and videos. It truly was an experience I will never ever forget! 



Comments

Popular Posts