Fashion's Superbowl : Superfine Tailoring Black Style.

                                                   

Superfine tailoring Black style.
That is the theme of the new exhibit that will be unveiled at the Met. As well as  the theme of this year's Met Gala. It's sure to be a celebration of black style , the culture and history that runs deep. The exhibit takes a deep dive into Black style focusing on dandyism from the 18th century until today. With the dress code centered around tailoring it's expected that attendees will hopefully fully embrace a tailored menswear inspired emblem. 


We have already seen Vogue dedicate 4 separate covers to each co-chair and if this is a sneak peak of  what is to  come I'll be watching at the edge of my seat. If you're someone who isn't sure what dandyism is or what a dandy is please pick up professor  Monica L. Miller's book Slaves to fashion: Dandyism and the styling of Black Diasporic identity.
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/slaves-to-fashion-monica-l-miller/1100310867 


She is a guest curated and what the exhibit was inspired by. 
This exhibit is the first to solely focus on Black designers, and the menswear focus theme in more than 20 years. This is definitely long overdue. I have personally tried to make it a point to find and support Black designers and local black fashion labels. It feels like finally the black voice and artistry will be recognized on a larger stage. 


The co-chairs for the Met Gala this year are Pharrell Williams who has  really been bringing a fresh and imaginative look as the creative director for menswear at Louis Vuitton. Rapper ASAP Rocky whose style has been awarded by Harlem's Fashion Row as a fashion and style icon. Formula 1 driver Lewis Hamilton who has a style all his own and has been amplifying black creatives. Lastly actor Colman Domingo who has been on every red carpets best dress list.  But for me as a true Akron girl it's noteworthy to see LeBron James as an honorary chair alongside Anna Wintour.


Here's what I hope to see. I hope to see everyone truly embrace tailoring, embracing going above and beyond.  Being extra , but most importantly highlighting and celebrating Black fashion designers. Honor black style a I know I have my favorites and many of  them aren't household names,outside the black community. But  I hope after the Met Gala they will be. So will you be watching?Who are you excited to see? What designers will be on the coveted carpeted stairs only time will tell. 




Comments

  1. Love this! Im excited to see what people have one this year and what their inspiration is.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts