Living that charmed life!

 

This accessory trend will have you running to the craft store. Diy & customizing  your accessories has been  the hottest accessory right now. From charm necklaces  to personalizing  your Adidas sambas to bag charms and Jane Birkinfying your hand bags. Accessories over the spring and  summer has majorly taken on a personalized handcrafted appeal.Making the mundane, extraordinary with ribbons, beads,pearls and trim. This is an easy to achieve look and I'm gonna show you how you can do it. 


But first let's get inspired:


Zoe (@aboutzoelee) took a thrifted red bag and added  some  key chains, charms, and chains for a fun expressive bag moment. 


Let's dig out those old new balances from the back of the closet and that bag you thrifted and haven't worn in a while. Add personality and customize it to fit your style. This trend is still going strong into the fall. 


6th St  Vintage (@6thstreetvintage)  pulled out what I imagine to be the best vintage brooch collection ever and added it to a pair of sneakers. It's unique and cool. A simple diy with  high designer style pays off.


How to achieve the look when it comes to bags. Look for key chains, tassels, charms and chains  

You can definitely thrift supplies like brooches,  and broken jewelry and reuse the  chains. 


So here's a few projects you can do to get that custom bag/shoe and charm necklace vibe. For supplies look in your closet and jewelry box. Or you can thrift it and check out the craft store for a variety of jewelry making supplies like beads and charms.


Let's start with bag charms and customization 

2 different bags. The first bag is a second hand Vintage Coach buckle bag in orange. I got it from Plato's closet designer bag sale for $25 or $30. 


Supplies:

Gold chain

Jump rings

 2 large lobster clasps hooks with key rings scarves 

scrap fabric 

beads &  charms

 brooches

Jewelry pliers and cutters

 

I measured out how long I wanted the chain to hang down. I doubled the chain  and attached the large lobster clasps to one side and the clasp and key ring to the other side. I used large gold jump rings to do that. 

 

Next I attached my charms to the chain again using jump rings. I went for coordinating colors and a Fiesta vibe. Which was perfect for Hispanic heritage month. It was giving a tropical and fun vibe.

You can add ribbons in a coordinating color or print. You can even add a vintage or designer scarf.

Honestly I had all of these items just hanging out in my crafting supplies. 

But as I mentioned before you can easily find supplies at a craft store or even the dollar tree.

 The next bag I charmed out was my favorite second hand vintage Coach convertible clutch bag. I thrifted it for $12 from Volunteers of America thrift store. I rehabbed this bag. She was a little rough when I got her and she was missing her strap. But I had this black and white thick strap that I added.

I added my BT21 Chimmy puppet to a clip and added it to one side.  And I added a thin yellow ribbon tied into a bow to add in more yellow.I added 3 coach tags in different sizes and colors that I've collected over the years. It was so simple and fun. I can wait to do this with more bags and shoes.

You can apply the same charm and chain techniques and make a charm necklace and bracelet like I did here. Check out my Instagram for a video tutorial.


 
 Get creative,  get crafty, and most importantly express your unique self with your accessories.

 

 



 

Comments

Popular Posts