Shop sustainably on Cleveland's east side with Ladder.
1. Has a career in fashion always been a goal or dream of yours?
Ha, no! I never worked in retail before I opened the store, so it's been a fun learning experience in a totally
new industry for me.
2. What gave you the idea to create Ladder?
My favorite denim brand changed up their jeans and I was looking for somewhere to shop for a new pair
in town without much luck. I asked a friend who'd moved back to Cleveland during the pandemic if she'd found anywhere to shop and she suggested we open something of our own. She had worked in retail for
20+ years, so it didn't seem quite so crazy. Only 9 weeks after seeing the space and signing the lease,
we opened!
3. Why did you choose to focus on sustainable and independent brands?
This is something I get asked a lot and to be honest, there was never an alternative consideration for me. My whole life is holistic - in fact, I was a functional nutritionist before I started the store - so it just made sense that the brands needed to be sustainable. To do it differently would be antithetical to how I live my life.
4. What can a new shopper expect to experience when they shop at Ladder?
The first thing people will notice is that this isn't a stuffy boutique where only a select few belong. I want
every person who walks in to feel like they're supposed to be here, regardless if they ever buy anything.
When someone walks out, I want them to think, "I want to be friends with them!"
The second thing is that the store is a very calming space. We play good music, the clothes are beautiful and there's soothing incense burning. I have a young son, so it's often much more relaxing for me to be at work.
Finally, we are a no pressure sales environment. We want you to love what you buy and no sale is ever worth someone walking out in something they aren't excited to wear right away. We'll be honest with you and tell you what is or isn't working for you, every time.
5. How does your personal style factor into what is curated in the store?
It's definitely peppered throughout but my style is pretty specific, so I do branch out quite a bit from my personal style. That said, three years into this venture, my entire closet is something I bought at the shop. I honestly don't know what I wore before I opened!
6. When did you decide to have a rack for consigned items, and what made you add an element of secondhand to Ladder?
Consignment was something that started pretty early on. From a sustainability perspective, the most conscientious way to shop is to buy second hand. We have an ongoing consignment rack with permanent floor space that's up all the time, and we host two bi-annual large-scale consignment sales in February and August.
7. How can someone consign with you, walk us through the process?
We only accept clothing for consignment two times a year as we ramp up for our large-scale events. A few weeks before the events (typically February and August), we send an email out where people can sign up to bring 20 items for us to peruse. From there, we choose up to 10 to keep. Sellers price the items themselves, so most pieces are priced to move.
At the large events, we turn most of the store into consignment for a whole week. The week gets split into "size days", so two days are XS-S and the next two are M-L+, for example. If an item sells during that week, sellers receive 70% in LADDER credit or 50% back in cash. If an item doesn't sell during that week, our team pulls the best pieces and the seller can choose to leave the item with us for ongoing consignment. If that happens, sellers get 50% in LADDER credit or 30% back in cash when their item sells.
If people are interested in consigning with us, the best way is to sign up for our email newsletter list on our website at laddercle.com. There's a pop-up or they can scroll to the bottom of the page to sign-up.
8. Congratulations on celebrating 3 years in business with Ladder! How has Ladder grown and changed over the years?
Thanks! It's changed in so many ways and not at all in others. For one, the person I started LADDER with is no longer involved and left about 8 months into us opening. Since then, I've been so lucky to have Lori Matthes onboard as LADDER's sales manager. I honestly couldn't do it without her. She's amazing.
We've also become much more selective about the brands we carry in-store, and I've personally gotten better at buying and knowing what people want.
9. What do you hope to achieve next for Ladder?
There is still so much untapped potential here in Cleveland. I'm confident that people have an incredible experience when they come in to shop, and there are still so many people who have no idea we exist. Our plans really revolve around continuing to make our mark in the community, partnering with others who inspire us and helping to make Cleveland more dynamic.
10. What are your hopes for the future of fashion in Cleveland, and in the Industry as a whole?
I am a firm believer in a rising tide lifts all boats, so I'm excited to see more people moving back and starting businesses, both in fashion and other industries. I think what Aimon Ali is doing with Fashion Talks is so impressive. We need more spaces around town where things are happening, and I'm always thrilled when I hear of an event or business opening up. Clevelanders deserve to have really nice things and we're happy to be able to provide a space where they can come and feel their best.
I hope you all get a chance to visit Ladder. It's a great sustainable & fashionable destination on Cleveland's East side. So go check them out and let them know Taylor sent you. Bye for now until next time stay stylish & shop sustainably.

Comments
Post a Comment