The struggle of the impulse buy: My thoughts on being a conscious consumer.
What is a conscious consumer?
What does it even mean to be conscious? By definition being conscious is being aware of and responding to one's surroundings, awake.
Conscious consumerism is an emerging trend in which consumers make informed decisions about their purchases to bring about positive change in society, the economy, and the environment.
Conscious consumption is engaging in the economy whilst acknowledging the impact of your personal consumption on society and the environment as a whole.
Being a conscious consumer has become a buzz phrase and trend lately but honestly I hope it stays past the trend. I think being mindful when you're trying to build a wardrobe is important.
Retail thrives on our insecurities. Everything is set up to feed off that. You'll look and feel amazing in this new latest ( insert on trend item of the moment). They use celebrities and models to create a fantasy. Really it's all a ploy to make you feel like you're not enough. This sense of newness can make you feel outdated. As quick as the trend comes in a month or two later we are on to the next fad.
We are all consistently being sold too and bombarded by ads on social media etc. And I can say as someone who has worked in the retail space I know it all too well. And even I have fallen victim to the online ads and my favorite influencer or content creator hauls and recommendations.
Wanting to have a piece of their shiney and glamorous lifestyle has led to over-consumption and being left with clothing items that on impulse was added to cart. It took me a bit of time to figure out why the items just didn’t fit me and honestly had me feeling uncomfortable.It always looked stunning on them and below average on me. But when I finally realized that what looks fabulous on them might not work on me , or it just didn't fit my personal style, or body type ,it was a bit of a revelation. I will always love fashion with a capital L , but I can appreciate it without owning every piece I think is cool.
Knowing yourself and your personal style will help you avoid being a slave to the ever fast pace of the trend cycle. You don't have to buy into every trend or aesthetic. Trends are just there for inspiration. So how can you identify your personal style? You don't have to be confined by boxes of defined style, because I think true individual style is just that individual and personal to you.
It starts with analyzing your own closet first. Building a wardrobe that speaks to your own personal style. Having not only timeless classics but also novelty & fluff. But at the end of the day, the goal is to create a cohesive wardrobe.So how do you do that?
Evaluate what's in your closet; ask yourself.
What items do you wear all the time on repeat?
Your wardrobe should be made up of items that you love not like but Love. And if you always wear the same items why is that? What about these items make you gravitate towards them, over other pieces.
What are the items that you are not wearing?
Are there items you have never worn and may still have tags on them? Why have you never worn them?
What items are no longer working?
Do they no longer fit ? Do they no longer serve your current lifestyle? Have you had a career change, a baby, or just a change in your taste in style.
What items in your closet can be altered, tailored , or upcycled ?
Can you do minor alterations like swap out the buttons, take in an item or let out a hem. Also are there any items that need mending. Can you reimagine them and upcycle them?
Once you streamline your closet you should be able to narrow down similar styles and elements that you gravitate towards. Do you have a lot of neutrals, or bright colors and funky prints? Do
you have items with ruffle details or items that are more structured and tailored. This is the first step into Identifying your style. Knowing your style and yourself can help you avoid buying things that don’t fit into your personal style. Being a conscious consumer means you avoid the impulse buy as much as possible.
Here are my tips when shopping online or you come across an ad on IG for a brand or company you have never heard of . Remember being a conscious consumer means that we are aware of our surroundings , and we make informed decisions. This means we do our research and a little digging.
So if I come across an ad for a new company I always try to take a look into that company.
I’ll go to the website to look at the item that caught my eye. I like to look at the price, the fabric content, sizing and any reviews. This also allows me to get a better look and see how it fits on the model.
But before I do all of that I look for the company's about us page. I like to know what their mission is. I want to know what this company is all about? What do they specialize in and how did they get started? This helps me better decide if this is a brand I want to spend my money on and support. Or if I think the quality and style will last a long time in my wardrobe. Thinking about these questions helps me avoid mindlessly adding to cart.
From a style aspect I try to use the rule of 3 before buying anything. This was a tip I always would tell my clients when I was styling them when we were shopping together. Can I, with what I have in my closet right now make 3 different outfits? Can I wear this for 3 different occasions?
I also like to ask myself : Is this something I can thrift? Do I already own something similar in my closet already? Because we all are creatures of habits. And if I don't exactly own a similar item, can I recreate it with other articles of clothing in my wardrobe. If you're a crafty girlie and love to DIY and upcycle like myself can I make this , or DIY it myself.
A conscious mindset doesn't happen overnight, and it's not about perfection but trying your best not to over buy or buy things you wont wear and absolutely love. Our wardrobe is a way to express yourselves so the better we know ourselves the easier it will be to curate a perfectly tailored wardrobe that reflects who you are.

Comments
Post a Comment